Monday, July 17, 2023

Wisconsin

 


Friday, July 14, I crossed the Mississippi River at Dubuque, Iowa, into Wisconsin.   I drove to Madison to spend two nights with my cousin Victor, and his wife Kathy.   We had a very nice visit.

Saturday, I rode my bike on the Lake Loop, around Lake Monona.   I wasn't always right on the lake, but I could usually see the lake.  Much of the ride was on city streets.


After my ride, Victor took me downtown and to the University of Wisconsin.   The two are right next to each other.  The Student Union is close to downtown and fronts the other Madison Lake.   Everybody and his mother was there, apparently on weekends, the Union is a popular food court for families, who then wander along the lakeshore.


Next morning, I rode a bit south of town on the Capital City trail and continued on to a trail with a long boardwalk over a lake.   Very nice ride.   An interesting thing about Capital City Trail, is there is essentially a toll station on the trail.   They want you to pay $5.00 per day, or $25.00 a year.   Don't know how, or if, they can enforce this, but I don't carry credit cards while I ride, so someone come arrest me!


As I headed for Milwaukee, I saw a billboard for "Doyle's Dogs".   Best dressed dogs in town!   So, I had to stop.   Lake Mills is a delightful little town.   Doyle's Dogs was incredible.   I had the Chicago style dog, which means the two teenagers working the little stand packed my bun with tomatoes, peppers and a pickle wedge.   Excellent!   I noticed a young girl eating an ice cream bar - Dad informed me it was called the Big Bar.   Of course, I had to have one.




Doyle's Dogs has the outdoor location a few blocks from downtown.   During the winter, I'm told they open a store front and offer inside seating.  

Drove to, and around Milwaukee, a city on Lake Michigan.   You cannot see all the way across the lake, it is so big.    Flat Stanley got a picture in front of an old lighthouse.


I then drove through Marianette, a city, over a thousand miles from the ocean, where a defense contractor is building naval warships!   Go figure!


I promise to get caught up this week.


No comments:

Post a Comment