Wednesday, July 12, 2023

Hillsboro, Kansas

 I'm falling behind, so I'm going to go out of sequence.



Tuesday, I drove from Oklahoma City to Abilene, Kansas.   I got rained out of my bike ride in the morning.  North of Wichita, I left the Interstate and headed North on little State Hwy 15, which showed me lots of corn and soybeans.  At one point I should have taken a left, but I really wanted to see if there was food up ahead and to the right.   Hillsboro doesn't even have a full traffic light, but they do have a small Sonic on the highway.   Pass.   I went into "downtown".   I saw the pictured storefront, and thought, why not?    I was transported into some magical world of ecclectic, and electric decor, along with every teenager in the area.  In a little town, not really on the map, you  can get a double frap with all sorts of stuff.   There were small alcoves and rooms with young, and not so young, people on laptops, just like in the big city.    Except here, everyone was smiling and the wholesomeness was almost strange.

I spent more time there than I should have, and food is not their main thing, but they did sell me a very good ham sandwich on home baked bread, and a house-made granola bar that was so gooey, it was just wonderful.

I moved on to Abilene where I visited the Eisenhower Library, built right next to his boyhood home, which I toured as well.   My mug and fridge magnet collections are growing.   I have avoided the Christmas ornaments (they are cute, but Vee and I discussed this before I left!)!  

My mantra is becoming:  "Not all who wander are lost".    Today I found it as a wall hanging.  I really am rubbing the numbers off the Master Card!

My allergies still bother me in the eyes, and it is still in the 90s, but the humidity is not so bad.

Next, I need to remember how to get the text and the images to co-exist!



No comments:

Post a Comment