Thursday, July 13, 2023

Rails-to-Trails in Dallas

 This is from Monday morning, July 10.   Dallas   I got up at six, had breakfast, did the trails, and was on the road to Oklahoma City by 10:00!   

I took the Katy Trail from roughly SMU, all the way to downtown.   There's a beautiful tree-lined trail.  At 7:30 in the morning it was full of runners and walkers and lots of dog walkers.  I saw one young man on a bike in office clothes and wearing his company ID.  This is a former railroad right-of-way.   Very well marked and in most places there is a walking trail with a special running surface.  The area is residential and upper priced apartments offer access.   Even a pub.   

I then transitioned to the University Connector Trail (SMU to a sports complex), that took me across the freeway and over the Mockingbird DART station.   Last time I took a DART through that station, the area was pretty open,  now there are low-rise commercial businesses and upscale apartments.   At some point I found myself on another rails-to-trails trail that then took me to the Southern Pacific Trail.   From there I could have (but I was out of time) gone to White Rock Lake.

At one point, the easement is used by DART, the trail, power lines, and even grassy area for dog walking!.   

The La Quinta south of Mockingbird is an older motel, but they are updating it.   My room was quite nice and the free breakfast included Texas-shaped waffles!  













No comments:

Post a Comment