Sunday, July 9, 2023

Dallas

 I actually hit the road just after 8:00, but with a stop for fast food, it took me an hour to pass The Woodlands!  Both I-45 Buckees were crawling with travelers, I finally got to a pump and did not bother going inside.

The Kia Niro has more side-to-side legroom than the Mazda, but I miss the hiding places the Mazda has.   My emergency paper towels and bath towels had their own compartments in the rear of the Mazda, I guess this stuff will ride in a milk crate!    The Niro rides nice.   Still need to figure out the infotainment system, but I listened to the 70s on Sirius all the way up.   Good signal.





I did the Bush Library 43 this afternoon.    This is a beautiful building!   Instead of bare walls, there are massive color photos all over, especially behind the displays.  The volunteer guides are rather active, maybe too active!   I avoided eye contact as much as possible because they were ready to expound on everything.   One lady wanted me to see the voting ballot that caused the rukus with "Hanging Chad".   No wonder!   A guide suggested I get a picture of Flat Stanley behind the presidential desk.   Got a professional picture of it as well.   When I remember how to move pics from iPhone to blog, I will post a few.

Houston has built a great bike trail system from the bayous.   As far as I can tell, Dallas is doing it with rails-to-trails.    Near-northeast Dallas has a number of them, and many of them link.   I will ride the Katy from SMU to downtown in the morning, and if I still have any power, I will cross Central Express way and go East from the Mockingbird DART station.   


Note to trail planners:  White Rock Lake trails have 911 reference stakes along the trail.   I guess if you call for help, there aren't a lot of addresses on the trail, so you tell the dispatcher  "WR125" or such.

Got my presidential mug, got a fridge magnet, got my "library passport" stamped.  

I just burped barbeque sauce!   Pork Ribs from Dickey's were so tender they almost didn't need to be chewed, which is good because my dentist told me not to chew for a while.   Lot she knows!

Next stop, Oklahoma City (Cue the music!)






No comments:

Post a Comment