Friday, July 21, 2023

Picture Rocks National Lakeshore

 

We went to Munising, Michigan on Wednesday, July 19.   This area is about 45 minutes East of Marquette.   We stopped at Alger waterfall, and I walked the trail.   My sisters swore I was going to slip, and I was about to agree with them, but the mud was only about 1/4" deep, and a young man decided I needed help.   Small falls, but beautiful.


A staple of the upper penninsula is pasties, pronounced with a short "a" like apple.   This is a ball of meat, potato and vegies, baked into a ball of bread.   It was eaten by the miners and is noted for it's not-spicy taste.   Very filling!


We went into Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore and took a 600 foot trail to Munising Falls.   A good view was possible from an accessible paved trail, or you could climb quite a few wooden steps for another excellent view.



We boarded a 75 foot tourist boat for a two hour cruise along the Superior coast, to see how nature has colored the cliffs above the lake.   I took a lot of pictures, but I am losing an argument with both my iPhone, and my laptop, so here is what I could download.  Spring-fed water over the years has flowed over the limestone cliffs, leaving some interesting colors and patterns


The Michigan Upper Peninsula, or UP, is home to fun-loving people who call themselves "Yoopers"  Their dialect reminds me of the Mackenzie brothers from TV!   This is beautiful country, and the temperature is about 68 today. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment