Thursday, July 20, 2023

Presidential Libraries

 One of the goals on this trip is to experience Presidential Libraries.    There are many museums and "libraries" dedicated to our nation's presidents, but 13 of them are associated with the National Archives, meaning the former president, and his supporters raised millions $$$ to build the library/museum, and then turned it over to the National Archives, who own and maintain the documents and artifacts.   I think building upkeep and much of the operations is still the responsibility of the former presidents' foundation.

There are other museums/libraries devoted to presidents, and I will explore that topic another time.

Some facilities differentiate between "library", the place where the documents are housed, and "museum" where artifacts and displays detailing the life and works can be found.   For the most part, researchers visit the library, and we tourists hit the museum.

I visited the Johnson and Bush (43) libraries prior to this trip.   Johnson's library is in Austin at UT,   My connection to this place is that I got thrown out of the LBJ Library by the Secret Service when the place was brand new!   Seems Lady Bird was filming her special in the library, so the TV trucks were out front, and the place was locked down tight.    Well, maybe not that tight, as I was able to go next door and into the basement, and came up the elevator in the middle of the LBJ Library, inside the security perimeter!   The agent was not amused, but I went quietly, after I got to see Mrs Johnson being filmed.   So, when I tell you I have been thrown out of better places, I am seriouis!

My first library on this trip was George W. Bush, on the campus of SMU in Dallas.   A notable feature here is that most displays were backed by enormous photos of the president, the family, or the White House.   The central hall is airy and runs a technical video show along the upper walls.   Very captivating.  Imposing structure, have to go through security,  There are interactive stations where you get to try to second-guess presidential decisions.

I did not travel alone, Flat Stanley was with me.   We emailed his Preschool every couple of days.



The Eisenhower Library has separate buildings for museum and library.   This is in the little town of Abilene, Kansas, right next to Ike's boyhood home!    The home has not moved, but apparently a swath of the town was moved to make room for the museum, library, and a very restful chapel where Mr and Mrs Eisenhower are buried.    This museum is rather low key, but showcases his military career, the war, and his presidential days.   The displays showcase the many postings and mentors that Eisenhower had, so that by the time World War II broke out, Ike was the perfect choice to take over operation of the European Theater.


The Harry S. Truman Library, in Independence, Missouri, is just East of Kansas City.    The library is located less than 1/2 mile from Truman's Victorian home.   President Truman kept an office in the back of the center, and worked there and welcomed visitors there, until his passing.    There is a very nice courtyard that includes the graves of the former president, and his wife.    The library shows how Truman came to local fame as commander of a national guard artillery battery.   He was known as strict but was an excellent leader.    A notable fact is that his battery, made up of Missourians,  never lost a man.   A local political boss gave Truman his start in politics, made remarkable because there was never any evidence of corruption on the part of Harry Truman.   There is a very good section on the dropping of the atomic bombs, with viewpoints covering several sides of what is still very controversial. 



The Herbert Hoover Library is in West Branch, Iowa and I'll bet you can't find that on a map!  I stayed in Iowa City.   A cool feature of the displays is the use of terra cotta figures throughout the library.    Hoover, as well as Eisenhower and Truman, did not grow up wealthy, but Hoover quickly became rich as an international mining engineer.   He rapidly became world renowned for leading relief efforts in Europe and the rest of the world.   A map in the floor as you leave shows over 50 countries where Hoover made a big difference with disaster relief.   He did not hold elected office until he ran for president.   I believe he was the only Secretary of Commerce to become president.     




Local resident of the Hoover Native Prairie.

I do not have a favorite library.   I thought they are all very well laid out and presented.  The Hoover Library does lay out programs he could not get through congress, some of which came to fruition long after he left office (like the Saint Lawrence Seaway).

I have a "Presidential Passport" with short descriptions and a a place to get my passport stamped at each library.   I have limited myself to a coffee mug and a refrigerator magnet  from each place.   My granddaughter and I agreed that there would be NO Christmas ornaments as the tree is already packed!  (there are some beautiful brass ornaments!)  As it is, any new magnets will require that some of the lesser magnets (usually on the bottom) be retired.

I will cover more libraries on the way back South.

I am at about the halfway mark of my vacation.   My 2023 Kia Niro is less than a month old and has 2213 miles on the odometer.   This trip has taken me 1988 miles, so far, and I have to get back to Texas from Marquette, Michigan.    Stay tuned to this station for further news.






No comments:

Post a Comment