Sunday, October 23, 2022

Texas Medical Center by Bicycle and a final Evening ride

 Wednesday, October 19.

I actually went by Bill Coats Bridge the other day, but its a cool bridge.

I drove to Hermann Park and grabbed a bike.   I visited B Cycle Stations South of Brays Bayou last Saturday, so today I just had to mop it up.   I have been joking that riding a bike in Houston is like playing Frogger.   The real game can be played in the Medical Center, at any Metro Station!   Try to cross lanes of traffic, only to find there is a train in your way, and there is no median of safety between the train and the car lanes!   But, none of the 257 ambulances in that area were for me!

A few blocks South East of the Metro, in the part of TMC where patients don't venture, is something called the Commons.   A food court with water wall on the outside!

Thursday evening, I was back in Hermann Park for a group ride through the Museum District.   It was a short ride, four stations.   We went past most of the more popular museums.

Our group consisted of about 7 young people (I'll guess around 20-30 yrs old) and me, who will turn 70 in November.   During introductions, one young man, after 3 weeks of riding, has four points.   I was feeling smug, until I realized it's not the age that makes a difference, it's the time!   I am fully retired and have made myself available up to three times a week.   I can take public transportation to Downtown and TMC and I have not been worried about getting to work on time.   So, time definitely makes a difference!  Which doesn't explain the first two gentlemen who finished this treasure hunt in two weeks!   My bike helmet is off to them.

So, anyways, I finished!   Mary tells me I get all sorts of SWAG, including the right to name a bike.  I don't do flashy nicknames, and my dog Cocoa really doesn't resonate with anyone but me, so I think I will ask for "DAN, THE MAN".    Many, in and out of my circle, seem surprised I did the Tour de Bicycle    Even more question WHY I did this biking exercise.   I'll tell you.   It was there, and I thought I just might be able to do it.  I saw interesting parts of Houston, previously unexplored by Nagel eyes.

Here is a thought for all of us.   I saw a number of people trying to figure out how to check out a bike, while those of us on this scavenger hunt would pull out our phone, or the cute little key fob, and be on our way in seconds.    Could we establish a volunteer group who would hang out at a couple of busy stations, like Centennial Park, or by the Zoo Train, with brochures, and a friendly offer of help?   If the first ride is frustrating, there may not be a second ride.   We might even suggest a couple of routes.   Give me a B Cycle T-Shirt, and a clipboard, and people will assume I know what I'm doing.

Here is one more thing before I change subjects:   Any time I had trouble with the station technology, I called the service desk.    Even if Daisy (also known to me as Angel) couldn't answer the phone, if I left a message and/or emailed her, my station problems were resolved very quickly.  The staff tell me that many of my fellow riders would yell at Daisy if things didn't go well.   Not nice at all.   It's not like we are on bikes that cost $20 and hour, a monthly pass is what?, $15?    Daisy kept me from getting stranded in some pretty isolated areas.   I met her last week, she is just as sweet as she sounds.

On to my exciting news!

I went riding in Alief (Southwest Houston) yesterday.   My ultimate goal was Der Wienerschnitzel on Hwy 6, but I'll tell you I was riding to see how the Brays Bayou Extension is doing.   Without crossing any construction barriers, I was able to ride 1.3 miles East from Arch Bishop Fiorenza Park, on eight foot wide concrete trail, with underpasses at Eldridge and Synott!   Serious work is being done all the way past Wilcrest.   It is very possible that Summer of next year, I will get an opportunity to ride from South of Addicks Dam, all the way East to the Ship Channel!  There is a great spot where Broadway meets Harrisburg Blvd, to look out across the ship channel and see ocean-going vessels up close and personal! 

Looking East from Synott Rd in Southwest Houston







No comments:

Post a Comment