Wednesday, October 5, 2022

5th Ward, Near North Side, UHD and a couple of miles too far

 Monday, October 3, I headed to the Park and Ride in plenty of time, only to find that I had left my iPhone in the house.   45 minutes later, I arrived at Park and Ride in time to see the last bus leave.   Fortunately for me, a commuter then chose to drive in, and by giving me a ride, she was able to use the HOV lane.   Worked out.

So, starting from a downtown station, I knocked out U of H Downtown.   Note that there is a back road from UH Daly lot to Burnett Transit center.  I had no idea University of Houston Downtown had become so big.   The lady who took me into downtown told me she went there for all four years plus her masters.   Nice, modern campus, easy walking or biking between buildings, and what looks like a very convenient shuttle from satellite parking lots.  

The Exchange at Hardy Yards doesn't look like anything on the map, but it's within walking distance of UHD and hosts the $5 million postcard view of downtown Houston!   These are beautiful apartments/condos that look to be the beginning of a livable neighborhood.   I missed the UHD Shay Street building, so I backtracked, and now I have earned my first badge.


From Shay Street I headed East past the Catastrophic Theater (what on earth?) and some other very quirky businesses in old warehouses.  Stopped to watch a train go by (lots of them, it turns out), 

I pick up Lyons Ave, which goes close to several stops in 5th Ward, but first I have to stop at St Arnold's Brewery.   I have been in Houston 18 years, and this is my first visit to the brewery.  I circled the parking lot and determined that the bier garten (German spelling) opens at 11:00 and it was almost that, so I had lunch and a beer.    Very good food and service.


Here is an observation:  When the Army sent me to Germany almost 50 years ago, Germany was busy consolidating breweries into just a few giants, and now, here in Houston we have little breweries all over the  city.   Go figure.

Continued East on Lyons picking up 5th Ward.    I can see some gentrification, and some houses that have been renovated, but I also saw run down homes.

Anybody know the story about this brick sculture on Lyons?


Crossed Buffalo Bayou and up Navigation.  From the bridge I could see some of the East River Project.   I was getting tired by now, so I just noted the sign pointing to the Houston Maritime Museum.   Maybe next week.    Cruised into EADO and struggled through downtown to Smith, where there is a stop every two blocks for my P&R bus.   It was right at 3:00 so the the express   buses were running.


Some random thought about the whole experience.

You don't want to be in a hurry.   Look around, there are many places we have never seen before.

I think most of us are checking a bike in, and immediately taking it back out, or taking out another, so we can get credit for the B Cycle station.   Give yourself a couple of minutes before you try to take the next bike, as the system needs a minute or two to reset your account.

If you run into problems at a station, call the service desk.   Many call centers want you to recite every number you know, including your Mother's maiden name, Daisy just needs your name and location, and she will fix any problem.

I ran across two B Cycle techs on the road.   Joshua bailed me out when I questioned whether that out- of-service station was really out of service.


And finally, whether you plan to hit all 153 stations, or just a couple of neighborhoods, I hope you have a great time, as I am.


1 comment:

  1. It's so lovely to read about your Tour experience so far. And we couldn't agree more with your advice about taking your time and enjoying the experience. That's the best part of the Tour - exploring new parts of Houston. Thanks for taking the time to write this blog!

    ReplyDelete