Tuesday, October 11, 2022

A Sunday game of Tidy Up

 After Church, Sunday, I decided to tidy up my checklist and pick up some orphan BCycle Stations.  You know, the ones that are quite a distance from the other stations.

I started down in Third Ward, around MLK and Griggs.  Caught three stations within a few blocks of each other.   The local Houston Public Library Branch has three large bird sculptures.   Closer inspection reveals that many of the feathers are book titles that have something to do with "birds" from Chicken Little to Six Days of the Condor.    Colorful.  

Someone pointed out a pit bull in a Spark Park.   I guess because I was sitting in front of the school, I must work there.  (It was Sunday) I informed an HISD officer, and offered the dog some water.   I think the gate shut behind him, but I was not going to let him out, even though he looked rather peaceful.


There are four bike stations at Lake Houston, so for the first time, I went to Deussen Park, as well as Eisenhower Park.  They are pretty much next to each other, unless you are on a bike or in a car, in which case that crow don't fly right!   Deussen Park is quite spread out and offers many picnic pavilions and playgrounds, as well as boat launching facilities.   I tried to join a couple of parties, claiming to be cousin Steve from San Angelo, but maybe it was my lack of a red T-shirt, but they we were not buying it.    The pavilions are spaced out so you don't feel crowded.   Looks like a great place for birthday parties and reunions.



Eisenhower Park, from what I could see, was two trailheads and a parking lot.    The trails looked a little too "mountain bikey" for this old man, and the sign said the trail was 3 1/2 miles long   Pass.



So now, I'm East of Beltway 8, East, so where should I go next?  Yep, almost to Beltway 8 West, off of I-10.    I'm pretty sure the local association or developer paid for these stations, they just seem to belong in the neighborhoods.    Good Luck finding Memorial City Club station,  but it is between the Mall and Bunker Hill.   The station  is within 20 feet of several visitor parking spaces, so there is hope.   The security lady watched me, but left me alone.




Get out your GPS, because I am going to tell you unless you know where Pearl City Center is, you will never get there.   Hint, it is just East of Fuddruckers, which may not help as that hamburger place is also well hidden.   But I can see where BCycle can really add to the experience at these little enclaves  of more-money-that-I-have.    What is needed now is a station at the mall to give these bikers a destination!  And if that is my picture, I need to smile more!

Monday was not a BCycle day for me.  My siblings are coming in from Austin and I will guide a tour from MacGregor Park, to the ship channel, west through Greater East End and then South to Universtiy of Texas.    I want them to think I know what I'm doing, so I rode about 18 miles and scouted a viewing area of the port (saw three big ships!) as well as places to eat.    As long as I was out there, I hit a few stations.   

If you haven't ridden Brays Bayou Greenways Trail (I just call it Brays) here is a tip.   Great parking at MacGregor Park but you need to enter from Calhoun.  Hint, the bridge is not yet open to traffic.   This is your standard Houston Parks Board trail, eight foot wide concrete trail with markers here and there.   Just past the golf course is a side trail that  will take you to Magnolia Transit Center, either to get credit for a BCycle, or to catch Metro Rail home.   Your choice.    Mason Park has a BCycle station way out there, you can easily take it to the Brays trailhead.  Take a minute to admire the hike and bike bridges.   If you cross Brays Bayou on Navigation, there is a track/trail that can take you to a nice viewing point for the Port of Houston.  Ignore the trash, this is, after all, Houston.

Speaking of trash, for next year's treasure hunt on wheels, I am recommending we all take a little time to police up some of this trash, especially the stuff in and around the bike stations.   I saw several parked bikes with baskets full of trash.   Maybe we could earn a "Good Samaritan" badge if we fill a couple of grocery bags and dispose of them properly.

I ate lunch off of Canal, at a Salvadoran place   First time eating Salvadoran food.   Basically similar to Mexican with several differences,  The tortillas were 1/4 inch thick, the beans were pureed and more seasoned, and the Pollo Guisada  was made with different spices.   I believe this is authentic, I was the only Anglo in the place.   


A hidden gem is the Harrisburg Rails to Bike Trail.   You get away from traffic, except there are cross streets every 500 feet, and that traffic don't stop.   Remember to look left and right so you don't become a hood ornament!

A piece of the track of the former railroad.

There are several pockets of very cute little homes in this area, but the neighborhood needs help.

I turned South on Cullen.   Protected bike route, complete with the "Armadillos"   I saw one that had been knocked loose from the street, and I wanted to take it home, but it just would not fit in my backpack!....University of Houston was very daunting.   I knew I was the outsider, and I tried real hard to avoid thousands of students moving between classes.   I also avoided the little robots that I think are delivering food!    It was fun when two robots met each other, one seemed to lose it's mind!  I hit a few stations, and returned to my car.



Brays Bayou Trail is pretty much MY trail.   It is a two mile ride from home to the Keegans Bayou Trailhead, then four miles to Brays @ South Gessner.   From my house, all the way to MacGregor Park, is 20 miles.   Been there, Done that, rode public transportation home.   From MacGregor to the port is about 6 miles or so.    The city and Houston Parks Board are busy extending Brays West.    By this time next year, if we all say our prayers, and mind our Mothers, you will be able to bike and hike from the Houston Ship Channel, all the way to Arch Bishop Fiorenza Park (he passed away last month) and a few miles beyond!   I am so excited, I check on construction every month.   There are a few ribbons of concrete west of Dairy Ashford!   This will be a long trail, separate from roads, and with many underpasses to avoid cars at the intersections.

As Dale and Roy sang: Happy Trails to you, until we meet again!




2 comments:

  1. What's the name of the Salvadorean restaurant you went to in East End? Our office is in East End and I'd love to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Salvadoran Restaurant is on 76th St, at Canal. The map says it's El Papaturro #1, but I seem to remember it being named something like "Salvadora". Be sure to get some papusas, and maybe some plantain.

      Delete