Monday, September 30, 2024

Calvin Coolidge and other things

September 30, 2024

I said goodbye to Troy, New York where I had spent the last three nights.   The Best Western is right on the river, downtown. They do a thriving business in weddings on the weekends since there is a large banquet hall/wedding venue across the street that also belongs to the hotel.   The bridesmaids and the bride have the hair done at the hotel and run up and down the halls, giggling and screaming, and then everybody goes across the street for the wedding.    The hotel also host a bus load of Danish electrician students two months out of the year as they come for the local junior college.   These young men are about as wholesome as you could possibly imagine.

I have never given it any thought, but in western Massachusetts I drove over the highest point on interstate 90, East of North Dakota! Approximately 1700 feet! Who knew?


My next stop was to the Calvin Coolidge Library and Museum, which should have meant a big whoop- de-doo.    In presidential things, the word library means the president's archives and personal papers.    What I found in North Hampton Massachusetts was a large room on the second floor of the Forbes Library,  It details a good bit of his life, but completely left out his ascension to the presidency after the death of Harding.   About the only souvenir they offered for sale is a T-shirt that says, “ I do not choose to run” Which apparently is what he said after his full term.   The library building itself is a public library.  The building would fit in very well as a Texas county courthouse.    Old, stone, very well maintained.   For an old Library, they offered jigsaw puzzles and musical instruments to check-out and they have an extensive collection of graphic novels and music on CD.   Northampton was chosen as the site as this is where he spent much of his political career, from mayor to state senator, to governor.  



From North Hampton I drove down into Connecticut and bought some gas and had lunch.   According to my personal rules, I can now say I have been to Connecticut.  I had pasta in a very nice Italian restaurant in Connecticut and would have liked to have stayed for dinner because the wine list included a German Riesling that the server said was very good.

I now pointed the car to the interstate and drove pretty much nonstop up and over Boston and into Maine.   I asked the gentleman at the visitor center to help me get a hotel. I told him my criteria was it had to be in Maine so that I could say I had been to Maine.  He liked that approach as he said he gets people who come in all the time, who walk into the visitor center, take a picture and get back in the car and go back into New Hampshire, telling themselves they’ve been to Maine.    He suggested a lighthouse and a decent restaurant where I could buy the requisite lobster roll.    I followed his instructions to the T and got a good picture of a lighthouse and a lobster roll with a very good cup of clam chowder.  The clam chowder met my Dad's standard, it was so thick my spoon almost stood up in the cup!    The lobster roll contained large chunks of tender meat.




I am back at the room, ready to go to bed, I’m pretty much intend to head from here, to Boston's Logan airport tomorrow.

I think I have gone to the Darkside as I have depended upon GPS for the last two weeks.   No paper maps, and even less idea of where I am at any given time.   I set my destination, it tells me where I currently am, and I tell it to go. It is rather scary if you think about it.

I have spent a lot of my life trying to understand electricity, television, how the heck a monarch can find my backyard; so I know I will never ever understand everything that goes into my iPhone. As far as I’m concerned, it is black magic.

Over the past two weeks I have purchased a lot of souvenir coffee mugs, and more than a couple of presidential history books.  Today I had to pay the piper! I took several bags of mugs and books into the UPS store and paid more to ship them than my hotel bill for the night! But it had to be done.  If you ever come to my house for breakfast, I will have your choice of coffee mugs and maybe even a cup of Teddy Roosevelt’s personal Bull Moose coffee!

No comments:

Post a Comment