Wednesday, July 24, 2024

The Getty Center

 I know, you are going to tell me I live in a different world. . . . ., but that's OK, because they know me there!    I am in Los Angeles, Day Three.   I came specifically to visit the Nixon and Reagan Libraries, and to ride on Amtrak.  I met my goals, so now I am just wandering.

I came across some notes last week about transportation that might not be on the maps.   I posted a picture of the Angel Flight Funicular the other night.   Well, there is a people mover here in LA that floats on air like a hovercraft.   It runs between the parking garage and the Getty Center, basically one hill to another.   A bonus was getting to see a world-class art museum.


I took the Metro E train towards Santa Monica and transferred to the 671 bus at Expo/Sepulveda.   Along the way, we passed the LA Colessium, USC, and UCLA.   Also rode past Bel Air (not Bellaire!) and saw that gas in LA is about $4.50 a gallon!  Got off the bus, walked under the 405 and entered a very long queue in the parking lot to pass through security and wait for the people mover.   The tram looks like a baby BART (San Francisco's subway).   The tram rides on air, but was still a little bumpy in spots.  Note: parking is $25.00.    Entrance to the Getty is FREE.



You don't even need to come for the ART.    The tram ride is what us little kids remember!   And the buildings, all in imported travertine, are simply magnificent.   Everything is spacious, and the buildings link to each other.   And then, there is the view!   Hill top.   I could see in all directions, though this was a hazy day.   


The nice lady at the information desk helped me get my bearings, and I was off.    First stop was a rotating exhibit "On Thin Ice; Dutch Depictions of Extreme Weather."  The early 1600s saw some of the coldest winters on record in Holland, and the Dutch produced a lot of paintings and drawings to commemorate these years.   Saw some impressionists, lots of portraits, and my favorite room full of stained glass windows that were beautifully back-lit.   I was so taken by this that I broke down and spent $55.00 on a neck tie depicting the stained glass.   You've seen me, I have NEVER spent that much money on clothes in my life!   But this should go with all of my dress shirts!


I did not linger, my ADHD was acting up, and sometimes the crowds really encouraged me to move on.   But it was a nice visit.   

The Getty Center is an example of what people can do with their money.   In 1957, J. Paul Getty (Getty Oil) was named the richest man in the world.   When he died some years later, he left the bulk of his estate to fund this magnificent public display of art.  Wow!

Security is everywhere at the Getty.   They are nice enough, but they won't let you break rules like drinks in the exhibit hall, or defacing the art.    Someone did something in the main courtyard while I was in the gift shop, and they locked the whole place down for a few minutes.    A staffer told me this happens a lot.   Often it's someone going through the wrong door, which, by the way, I did at the Reagan Library on Monday!

Did I mention the view?


At the Getty, the languages of the day seemed to be Japanese and Italian.    I heard a lot of both.   My presence raised the average age by a good 20 years!    Lots of teens and college students.

On the way back to the hotel, I got off at Little Tokyo station, hoping to visit the museum to Japanese-Americans, but they had had a power outage.   Walked along several blocks of little ramen and sushi cafes.  And lots of  nods to Shohei Ohtani.   I may head back there for dinner.   It's just a few blocks from my hotel.


And finally, a sidewalk sign that reminded me of Susie.


I'm done.   My pictures loaded the first time, which is the first time for that, and so it's time to go have some ramen.  Really not sure what tomorrow will bring, but I am having fun!



3 comments:

  1. Nice blog. I commented earlier as anonymous, but I didn’t mean it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice blog. I love LA

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dan, I’m just now catching up on your blog. Fun reading. If you still have time in LA, don’t miss seeing the Walt Disney Concert Hall. Mind-blowing and beautiful architecture by Frank Gehry.

    ReplyDelete