Monday, July 22, 2024

Riding Amtrak West from Houston

 I am finally on my way!   Chris took me to the Houston Amtrak Station, located on Washington Ave, just West of the Gulf Freeway and just South of I-10.  Chris did not know it existed.   Not much there, but it did the job.



The Sunset Limited, Amtrak train # 1, consists of two engines, a baggage car, a sleeper (my new home!) the dining car (meals come with my roomette), an observation lounge, and a coach car.

Next stop (I hope) is San Antonio.   Here we will pick up a few cars from the Texas Eagle, inbound from Chicago.

When I rebooked this trip, I was unable to get a roomette on the upper level of the sleeper.   The view downstairs is not as good, but I just got a voucher for about $250.00!    Guess I will be spending more time in the observation lounge with its super wide windows and wonderful view.   Good or bad, that also means I will be meeting new people, some of whom may actually talk more than me!

My roomette is very small, but I am finding that it makes me a first class passenger!

The train was an hour earlyWe spent 3 1/2 hours in San Antonio!   2 !/2 was on the schedule.   Good news, we were on time.   Bad news, is I can't sleep.


I'm going to jump around, because I want to go catch a metro train to Simi Valley.   The train was an hour early into LA.   When I asked about storing my bags while being a tourist, the nice lady pointed out that as an Amtrak passenger with a roomette, I am first class, and can avail myself of the upstairs lounge (where I sit right now!) which includes the priviledge of storing bags for the day!   Did not know that.

So, I will tell you more about the ride later, and also about the Reagan Library.   For now, I am off to see the world!







No comments:

Post a Comment