Thursday, September 29, 2022

Be Positive

 I will get back to bike riding for my next post, but I wanted to share this:

One of my weekly activities is reading to small children every Thursday at our church's preschool.  I am really not sure who is having more fun with this:  the children, or me!    

I brought a couple of books about fall today.    I also brought a box of Autumn décor that my wife had gathered over the years.    I spread strings of silk leaves around, and over the children, and set a small, decorative hay bale on the floor.   It had ribbons and silk flowers, and had, at one time, been a centerpiece.  A herd of two and three year olds descended upon my meager decorations.   Four of them gathered around the hay bale as I attempted to share a pumpkin counting book.   At least one of the children has a tendency to cry, so as long as they were quiet, I wasn't going to bother them.    After a while, I looked down to see that these little angels had disassembled the hay bale and the flowers, and there was now hay all over the floor!  The older children found bits and pieces everywhere when they came in!   

For all the negativity in the world today, I can still find pure joy in the faces of preschoolers!   I think I could read the phone book to them (is there still one?) and have them interrupting me to add something that may or may not pertain to anything we are discussing, but they sure want to share!   I have long since learned never to bring up birthdays, new shoes, or puppies, if I ever want to finish reading the story!   But, I saw pure joy today, and believe I looked into the face of God!

Next week I will read Jeanne Titherington's  Pumpkin, Pumpkin, compleat with a bag of pumpkin seeds and some pumpkin cookies.   Not sure if I will be brave (or dumb) enough to cut open a pumpkin while they watch.    

Anyways, this is my best therapy.    







No comments:

Post a Comment