Monday, February 21, 2022

Whistling Ducks

 

I came upon a large flock of Black Bottomed Whistling Ducks last month, in the most unlikely place.   Keegans Bayou, between Wilcrest and US 59.    The trail is dirt, the bayou is littered with partially submerged shopping carts, and the scenic back drop is the backs of a small strip center.    Yet, here were a large flock of ducks!    I recognize them as the ones you can spot all spring with their ducklings, trying to find their way to the bayou, because momma laid her eggs in my neighborhood without looking to see where the water is.    

I stop here to apologize for not having a picture from that day; I took a video that is too long to upload, and my tech savvy won’t let me edit a few frames.   I did find a shot from last Spring.  They have orange beaks and make more of whistle than a quack.


   Anyways, the ducks have moved on, but I expect them back this Spring.    When you see them leading their families along the bayou, don’t marvel too much at the size of the family.    Momma could be leading 24 ducklings – They are not all hers!    Right out of Dr Seuss, other Whistling Ducks are apt to lay their eggs in a nest that is already occupied!  Apparently, Duck-ologists (I made that up) have documented a nest of 100 eggs.    I don’t have my source, but talk to our friend Google for more info.    A nice thing about this part of Keegans Trail, in the South East corner of Alief, is the lush tree cover from which you can marvel at God’s creatures.    Don’t bother the campers who live under the freeway, they have never bothered me.

1 comment:

  1. I've seen a photo of a mama duck with about a gazillion ducklings. I wondered.

    ReplyDelete