Monday, July 20, 2020

Brays Bayou Trail for the Beginner

Brays Bayou Bike trail has become part of my life goals.    I started riding just a few months ago when my bathroom scale reached 300 pounds and my doctor complained (always something!) about my blood pressure.    So, I dusted off the $200 7 speed Schwin, aired it up, and headed to the beginning of the Keegans Trail.   That was two miles, one way.   Over the next few weeks, I went a little farther each time, until it was time to push on to Gessner where Keegans Trail joins Brays Bayou trail.   At this point, my goal became going as far down Brays as I could, and then I stumble over to the nearest bus stop where I ride Bus 68 West towards home. 

My first major goal was the Medical Center transit center.  I worked towards this goal since early May, but last week I had a great ride and blew right past it, finally stopping at Almeda, and got onto Bus 4, which took me deep into Alief where I live.    If you have ever wondered whatever happened to AJ Foyt, he drives an articulated omni bus on line 4!

So, my next goal is MacArthur Park, just Southeast of University of Houston.   I'm still researching the best bus route home, but sometimes I turn around in Meyerland and ride on back home.  I did that today, and the map says I accomplished 18 miles!   Compare that to my May 5 entry that says I rode 2 miles!

On the Brays Trail, I see all manner of walker and cyclist.   I see teams in matching T's, families with strollers and even a trailer behind Daddy's bike.   The most intimidating is not the ripped guy with spandex and the graphite bike who blows past me on rocket assist, but rather the little 5 year old on the 16 inch bike, who Daddy reports can ride 10 miles!    Way too much energy!

Dan

1 comment:

  1. Dan, it's always an adventure when I go riding with you. Even better when I can read about it later.

    ReplyDelete