Tuesday, July 28, 2020

A little farther on Brays Bayou Greenway Trail

I headed out Friday morning.   I would have gotten out earlier, but the dogs demanded a walk before they would let me get on the bike.   Weather Wife predicted rain by 1:00.    Had to turn around after a block because my Covid mask was still in the house.  I stopped a lot to take pictures for the previous post, and that added to my time.    And then the headwind.   Now, the guys with 5% body fat, on the fancy bikes, don't seem bothered by wind; me, I was bothered, but I kept going.

The portion of Brays Bayou Trail between Gessner and Buffalo Speedway is very pleasant.   The bikers, runners and walkers come in all shapes and sizes, and are a very diverse group.   Some are in a hurry, many are out enjoying the view.     Everyone is nice and there are many places to rest.

I have counted 3 of these maintenance stations, so far.    Bicycle tools on cables, and a sturdy air pump.   This is just downright friendly of Harris County, or whoever put them there!





After Buffalo Speedway, the grass turns into concrete and the trail moves into the concrete canyon that is Brays Bayou in the Medical Center.   I saw no more families, and traffic thinned out, which is good because the trail is a little narrow, and just a bit closer to the down-embankment than I like.


 Then, we're opposite Hermann Park, and the trial sweeps left and right, and up and down.   Note - if you want to cross the Bill Coats Bridge, and it is beautiful, as is the other side, better take the higher trail as you go under Cambridge, as that is about your only chance.   There is a lower trail at water level, as you go under Texas 288; I was glad I passed on it, as I could see the water had taken over at one point.

Just past 288 is a new H-E-B.   I may stop there sometime.    The next landmark was what I had been looking for - Columbia Tap Trail crosses the bayou here.   If you turn North, this new trail will take you all the way to BBVA Stadium in EaDo.   This is a Rails-To-Trail.   It's an abandoned rail line and goes right through TSU and the 3rd Ward.   I must try it some day - after I finish Brays!



I stopped here and parked my bike at the corner by New Hope Baptist Church.   Bus Line 4 stops here and will take me back through the medical center and all the way back to Alief, all for $1.25! 

My next goal is MacGregor Park, where Brays Bayou crosses MLK and the Metro Rail.   This may take a while.  I feel like I've made progress.   In early May, I rode 2 miles.   Friday, July 27, I rode 18 (at least) miles)

Your Homework assignment for next time - Why is it Brays Bayou, but Braeswood? 

1 comment:

  1. You have a pix of my office building, which sits above the bike trail at Fannin.....not that I’m “in the office” while I’m “at work”. Happy exploring.

    ReplyDelete