Sunday, August 9, 2020

Back to Cullinan Park

 My friend Don took Brays and Keegans Trails to my house this morning.   After a breakfast of coffee cake, eggs and bacon, we headed, via residential streets to Cullinan Park, just North of the Sugar Land Airport.   This was our second bike visit to the park.  A very enjoyable part of the ride is the Imperial development North of Constellation Park.   Lots of green space and many well-maintained paths.   

The picture of the deer was taken earlier this week, from my car.  Mommy and two fawns were not more than 50 feet from me, along the main road into the park.   They never bolted, but I was being watched as much as I was watching them.  This scene is less than a mile North of the airport, within the city of Sugar Land.

I thought we had learned our lesson the last time we were there, so we set out to follow established trails with markings and the occasional sign.   Sure.   What could go wrong?   Wide, civilized paths suitable for senior citizens quickly gave way to narrow tracks through and around saplings.   It was thoroughly enjoyable, but I did rededicate my life when we got back to the parking lot.   I don't have a picture of the blind, hard-left turn that dropped about 6 feet and ran across a rickety plank bridge.   Apparently, they couldn't afford railings, or for that matter, trimming of the underbrush.   Those of you who do not remember when bikes made-in-America will probably say "Again!"


I did take comfort in knowing there was a limit to how lost we could get, as the map showed water along several boundaries of the trail area, and I had not brought the floats for the bikes.  Sure enough, as we thought we were totally lost, we pedaled around a corner and found ourselves back at the main area.   

The website for the park and the conservancy offer maps and a glimpse at some rather ambitious plans.   This is a nice park that is close to civilization.

https://www.sugarlandtx.gov/Facilities/Facility/Details/Cullinan-Park-64

No comments:

Post a Comment